Thursday, November 6, 2008

A World of Whimsy and Wonder

I love when anything in life has a whimsical touch. The ages of 5-8 were years where everything fascinated me and anything slightly whimsical made me feel like I lived in a world full of magic (not the dark kind, just the Disney kind). Now, even though I'm nearing 23, those whimsical and wondrous things still have a magical effect on me.

Here is a list of whimsical things that animate my life in enchanting ways:
1. "Half Acre" by Hem
This song is incredible. Please listen to it and tell me if it doesn't transport you to another world. You may actually recognize the song from the Liberty Mutual commercials from the past year.
2. Anthropologie
Oh. My. Gosh. I am obsessed with Anthro clothing!! And jewelry, and shoes, and bedding, and home goods, and books, etc., etc., etc. It is, in a word, fabulous. While the prices are not always so hot, the collections always bring a tasteful whimsy to any wardrobe. My roommate, Amanda, loves their dresses, but my addiction is to their sweaters... like this one!
3. Disney Movies
I know I've already posted on this, but Disney animated movies are truly what began my fascination with whimsical things in the first place.
4. Jane Austen
For some reason, Jane Austen books and movies seem to have a very whimsical quality to me. Two of my favorite books of all time are Emma and Pride and Prejudice. Those are also my two favorite Jane Austen movies!
5. Daisies
As you probably know, daisies are my absolute favorite flower and a lot of that stems from the fact that they are just so friendly. The way they bounce around brings them to life and is just plain happy.
6. Old Movies
Ever since I was a little girl, my mom would sometimes let me stay up late if an old movie was on TV. So, the association in my head has always been that old movies equal something special between me and my mom. To this day, if I'm feeling sick or sad or lonely or missing my mom, I just turn on AMC, TCM or an old Audrey Hepburn film and it is a true comfort. Some of my favorite oldies are An Affair to Remember (the movie referenced all throughout Sleepless in Seattle), Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina, Roman Holiday (I can't help it, I love Audrey Hepburn), It's a Wonderful Life (my favorite Christmas movie), The Shop Around the Corner (another Jimmy Stewart classic) and That Touch of Mink. By the way, Jimmy Stewart is my ideal man. They just don't make them like that anymore.

2 comments:

Karen Miller Russell said...

I love Audrey Hepburn, too! One summer I watched everything she ever did: Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Breakfast, etc. but also goofy ones like Paris When It Sizzles. Did you ever see Wait Until Dark? Totally different kind of movie but good.

And, what about Grace Kelly?

Ashleigh Speir said...

I didn't see Wait Until Dark but I will get on that right away! And strangely enough, I don't know if I've ever actually seen a Grace Kelly movie. Looks like I don't have to spend hours trying to decide what I want at Blockbuster the next time I go!