Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Geoffleighnatiousness

So, November is quickly becoming one of my favorite months since I'm realizing I have so many best friends born in it! The past two days are specifically special because they are Sallie and Geoffrey's birthdays!

Today is Geoffrey's 24th birthday... and word on the street is that your 24th year is the BEST year! Twenty-three is the year when you're dealing with transition and taking care of yourself and experiencing change left and right. Twenty-four is the year where you get to reap the benefits of all the crap you had to deal with when you were 23! You are settled into a new way of life and have time to sit back and relax.

Well, I have a feeling this couldn't be more true for anyone than Geoffrey Edward. Geoffrey's past two or three years have been quite a roller coaster ride. But about nine months ago, he decided to join the Air Force (a decision none of us took well at first) and his life has been on the up and up ever since. While all of us he left at home are struggling to live without him every day, G-Money (or Eric as he likes to call himself) is having the time of his life.

Geoffrey and I met 9 years ago at Landmark. He was a grade older than me and I didn't really hang out with him much except whenever I saw him in the hallways. He used to talk to everyone - seriously the friendliest guy ever. Well, through a series of circumstances, he and I became really good friends my junior year of high school and actually kept in touch when he left and went to college. Then my freshman year of college, I got a random call out of nowhere from Geoffrey and his best friend, Beau. They were in town for the weekend and ended up hanging out with us all weekend, instead of hanging out with the people they originally came to see. After that, either they came to Athens or we (Molly, Katie and I) went to Kennesaw every weekend of our freshman year and we've been family ever since.

Geoffrey is THE FUNNIEST person you will ever meet. He's an interesting cross between Dane Cook and Ashton Kutcher, except generally cleaner. He can make the most boring situation fun. I have been begging him for years to do stand-up, but he chose the smarter route with the Air Force. Anyway, Geoffrey is the most loyal friend of all time (only Sallie could rival him for this), and he cares about people with his entire being. No matter what, Geoffrey is there for you and he'll tell you exactly what you're supposed to hear, whether you want to or not. He's the perfect blend of humor, encouragement and truthfulness. And he's also addictive; once you've hung out with him once, you're hooked and you want to be around him all the time. Be warned.

I love you Geoffrey! I miss you down there!

Again, if you know Geoffrey, write him a sweet comment on here to wish him a happy belated birthday!

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

I think you did a fabulous job summing up years 23 and 24.

Geoffrey--I don't know you, but Ash talks about you often and you sound like a pretty cool guy. Hope year 24 is better than you could have ever imagined!

KGG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KGG said...

There is only on word to describe Geoffrey... Soul mate (Spell Check tells me that is actually two words, but you get the idea). After Geoffrey entered our lives we realized he is what had been missing the whole time. Now it's like a phantom limb, I feel him but sadly he is not here. However, it is almost a happy pain. I know the pain of his absence is so strong, because the joy we have when we are together is almost unbearable. I love you Geoffrey.

Geoffrey said...

Ive never been as in love with you guys as I am right now. Of course i said that same thing yesterday...and then the day before that...anyways, thanks!!! I miss you so much!! See you December 20th....and January 2nd. And everyday in between. Even Christmas.

Geoffrey said...

...i cant figure out why my name is displayed like that....or find a way to change it.....and im confused...

Geoffrey said...

oh there it goes..er...i think..

k said...

best year EV-AH is 27. Hands down. But it might be different for boys. The early days of 29 are pretty great too, the late days, ... not so much.

Ashleigh Speir said...

Yay! Thanks for all the comments everyone! And Dr. Sweetser, it is good to know that we still have many good birthdays to look forward to.