Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Life, As I Know It, Is Over

Yesterday was one of the most depressing days of my life. I wrote my last paper of my college career (except for those I'll write in Spain), packed up the remaining items left in my already empty and lifeless room, said my goodbyes and drove away from Athens for the last time.

The weird thing was that, as upsetting as cleaning out my room was, I don't think it hit me that I was actually leaving until I emptied the food out of my pantry shelf. All of a sudden, I was staring at a vast expanse of space situated carefully between shelves 2 and 4, both which were jampacked with tasty culinary masterpieces, and it hit me. I don't live here anymore.

I know change is good and blahbity blah, but really?

So, as any self-respecting, independent, young, 20-something girl would do, I blasted weepy, nostalgic songs from my iPod the entire way home. I can honestly say that I felt much better about my life after I realized Carrie Underwood and Sara Bareilles have experienced similar points. I felt even better when I realized they were whining about leaving men and I was whining about having to leave friends. See, I'm at least a little less pathetic than I could be.

But my time to cry about leaving one place is almost over because "I'm leaving on a jet plane" for Sevilla tomorrow. As much as I'm sure I'll meet people I enjoy while I'm there, I have been sworn to like everyone there a little less than I like my Athens roommates. I'm pretty sure that won't be too hard.

So, here goes the segment of my life titled Leaving College: Part 1.

No matter what I say later though, I don't like it.

No comments: