Monday, May 12, 2008

I´m Just a Little Black Raincloud...

Everything here is different. That´s how they tell us to think about it here. Not bad, just different.

I am doing my best to think of it that way, but it´s really hard.

I have always thought of myself as an independent person who doesn´t need to have my hand held. But I feel in over my head here.

Before you read on, be aware that the atypical rainy weather in Sevilla is messing with my mood.

Madrid was wonderful. Right away, I met 40 fabulous people who already feel like old friends and we spent a couple days getting to know each other and getting acquainted with the New York City of Spain. The weather was mis, but we still had an awesome time experiencing this new place together. We visited museums, cathedrals, castles, cafeterias and cervecerias. It felt good.

Then, yesterday, we climbed on a bus, made the six hour trek down to Andalucia, deboarded the bus and were immediately sent off to our ¨families.¨ The lady Mallory and I live with is extremely sweet, but seems just as out of her comfort zone as Mallory and I. She picked us up, took us to her little apartment in the city, walked a block or two with us to point us in the direction of the school, cooked us dinner and sent us off to bathe and bed. I like her, but I don´t know if I will ever feel comfortable in her home. Most of the other kiddies here say their mothers are super-talkative and outgoing. What I would give for someone who would just throw their arms around me and welcome me into their house. Cest la vie.

But we made it through the first night and to classes this morning. I think I am going to love my classes. Both of them are about culture, and while they will probably be a good bit of work, I think they will be fun.



To be fair to Spain, the weather is apparently never this wet. Sevilla is in more of a drought than Atlanta is, so I don´t expect too many more rainy days. Also, once we get used to the way of life around here and pick up the language a bit more, we probably won´t feel too out of place in Lourda´s house.

I just need prayers to be joyful in my circumstances and to learn this language asap. Any and all words of advice are gladly welcomed.




Just know, you are all dearly missed.

No comments: